11 September 2015

Blue dress



Wow, this is the third dress I made from the 3417 Simplicity pattern. Here is my first and my second version. I really love this pattern! The result is a dress wearable as modern wear and for 1940's re-enactment. bought the fabric for 6€ at the Noordermarkt. The sun was very bright and beautiful, so sorry for squinting my eyes so much. 





So, third time using this pattern, but first time for marking my seam a different way.





I used a chalk hem marker to mark my skirt seam. I don't have a dress form at home (it's in storage at my parents), so marking the hem that way isn't an option. And with my boyfriend at work, a girl has got to mark her hems herself. I bought a chalk hem marker for just 2€ at a secondhand shop. I think it's from the 1970's or perhaps 1980's? Or could it be earlier?




Anyway, chalking the hem was a fun thing to do. The only thing that gave me trouble, was the side and back. That's because the skirt isn't straight and tends to hang in folds. Well, how on earth can one chalk in the folds? The option is to spread it open (with one hand, as the other holds the puff to chalk), but then the fabric won't hang correctly... In the end I winged it a bit and took the gamble. The hem is now a tiny bit longer at the back, but it doesn't bother me very much.



My conclusion: I need to use this hem marker more! It's such a useful thing and it's funny to watch the chalk fly :-)




The sleeves have a special construction, next post I'll show you the details.


Bye,

post signature

2 comments:

misshendrie said...

I love this dress! The colour really suits you.

Hm, maybe I should try a chalk marker like that as well some time, seeing as my Mum's got one!

Bonita Vear said...

Ooh, I haven't seen one of these chalk hem dusters in action before ~ it looks fun to use! Your dress turned out beautifully, it's so cute! ❤

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...